What is Teen Dating Violence?
A pattern of behaviors used to obtain power and control over another person.
Types of Abuse:
- Pulling hair
- Using a weapon
- Name calling
- Yelling and screaming
- Harming (or threatening to harm the person, their family, friends, pets, property, etc.)
- Spreading rumors
- Preventing the person from talking to friends / family
- Insulting the person or their friends / family
- Threatening to commit suicide
- Humiliating the person
- Financial control
- Sharing sexual or nude pictures of the person that were given in confidence
- Accessing someone’s accounts and changing passwords so he or she can no longer access them
- Excessive or unwanted text messaging, instant messaging, phone calls or e mails to check up on someone
- Posing as a person and altering his or her accounts or profiles
How to Help or Get Help
Remember that you are not alone and the abuse is not your fault.
- Talk with someone you trust
- Receive positive support
- Think independently. Remember that you are the expert about your own life. Don’t let anyone talk you into doing something that’s not right for you.
- Make a safety Plan
- Ask your friend how she / he feels and let your friend know that you are concerned.
- Offer your friendship and support
- Listen and believe
- Do not judge or rush them into a decision they are not ready to make
- Offer to find resources or information for your friend
- Encourage your friend to tell someone they trust
- Know that there are people and organizations that are equipped to help you
- Talk with someone you trust or respect
- Understand that abuse is a choice
- Take responsibility for your actions
- Walk away before it escalates
Are you or were you in a relationship that was hurtful?
Here is an interactive safety plan from Loveisrespect.org that can help you to stay safe.
To speak with a peer counselor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:
Youth Crisis Hotline 24/7
To speak with a domestic violence counselor:
Family Violence Response Team Hotline
Call the National Teen Dating Violence Hotline from any location: