What to do if YOU are being hurt…
Remember that you are not alone
and the abuse is not your fault.
- Talk with someone you trust
- Receive positive support
- Think independently. Remember that you are the expert about your own life. Don’t let anyone talk you into doing something that’s not right for you.
- Make a safety Plan
What to do if a friend is being hurt…
- Ask your friend how she / he feels and let your friend know that you are concerned.
- Offer your friendship and support
- Listen and believe
- Do not judge or rush them into a decision they are not ready to make
- Offer to find resources or information for your friend
- Encourage your friend to tell someone they trust
What to do if you are the one who is doing the hurting…
- Know that there are people and organizations that are equipped to help you
- Talk with someone you trust or respect
- Understand that abuse is a choice
- Take responsibility for your actions
- Walk away before it escalates